Monday, October 23, 2006

Time for a Complete Ramble

So what shall we talk about today?

First up lets talk about Brains! Or more specifically the Brain Warehouse, that I spotted in Shepherd's Bush about a month ago. It appeared and vanished within a couple of days so I never got any photos. It turns out that it was a film set for the Government's new series of Cannabis adverts. I wish I could have gotten a couple of photos though as it was a brilliant setup.

Hmmm, next... Da Vinci Code.
Well Serena's delayed birthday prezzie of a couple of DVDs turned up on Saturday, so we watched the Da Vinci Code yesterday afternoon. I have read the book twice and was a bit scepticle about the film. I have to say it is a very good yarn if you take it in its own right, but the book tells the story much better as there is more time to build the plot (the book is a slow burner, as opposed the hectic film). They also Hollywoodised the ending slightly, which was a shame. Definitely worth a watch whether you have read the book or not.

How about Sore Bums?
The plan for lunchtime today is to go to the Tate Modern and play on the new art exhibition - a set of huge slides. Apparently the pieces are a bit roughly welded together and give you a bit of bounce on the way down, so I may be sitting carefully later! Still I am fairly well padded in that region so I should be OK!

Robin Hood...
The new BBC version is actually quite entertaining. Maybe I was hoping for something more like the 1980's ITV version, with a nice mystical undertone, but nevermind. I think the BBC were expecting too much for it to be on a par with Dr Who, as the writing is not as strong, but there is potential in there if they choose to develop the characters a bit more. Generally it is Robin seeking glory and the Sheriff seeking the Ham of the Year award. Could do better, but worth a watch.

And finally U certificate movies...
I am always amazed how certification standards have changed down the years. Take a classic film like The Guns of Naverone which was on Channel 4 on Saturday - Certificate U. There is a lot of "Stealth Violence" in the film - cuttings of throats and blackjacking etc and the dialogue, whilst free of modern swear words is quite "strong" and "adult" in places. I reckon that it would get at least a PG certificate, if not a 12 if it was reclassified now. I am certain there are other films like this out there - The Black Hole (Scary) is the only one that leaps to mind right now, and maybe Clash of the Titans (very violent).

3 comments:

GF said...

I like your rants. :)

It would be so easier if this was split down into separate posts, from a commenting point of view.....

....yeah I read about that advert last night, yet it just didn't click that it was the same as what you'd blogger about!! Maybe I need a new one?

I've not read the book and really liked the film. If a back-up was to wing it's way to me, even in DivX format, complete with AC-3 encoding I'd be very grateful. As for the film? It had Amelie and Jean Reno in how could it be bad?

I've taken to really liking Robin Hood and have all 3 episodes on my AV700 - it's lighthearted Saturday night drama - what the Beeb has always done well, and before the resurgence of Doc Who was missing greatly.

U cert movies - I'm afraid I can't comment I've never really paid attention to the certificates...

Jase said...

LOL... There wasn't any ranting in there at all.

If I was at home I would break them up and publish separately in Live Writer (nice tip thanks), but in the office I can't be arsed.

Did you "buy" CloneDVDMobile? Do I need to do anything funky to ensure the AC3 codec works properly?

GF said...

No I didn't buy it - I forgot to. Seriously. Also though the lipsync thing bugs me.

I'm hoping to get a video iPod (that's 5Gen iPod to me, but I'm being nice) so once I get that I may well be tempted....

Live Writer is brilliant isn't it? I've even got it working with my new blog!! Clever aren't I?

I think for ac-3 you just need to ensure you have the encoder installed (not the decoder obviously) and then make sure you have options selected which define that the DivX converts the dolby digital output to the AC-3 encoder....thats all I've done and it seems to work for me.....