Thursday, July 21, 2005

Phishing

Following on from Gareth's recent post about Phishing I thought I would add my own 2p worth.

Whilst I do get the Bank account ones, most of these get filtered out by my Anti-Spam software. The ones that get through and that I think are incredibly hard to tell apart from real ones are EBay and PayPal security alert emails.

I got one this morning from "securitycentre@ebay.com" titled "Additional Security Requirements" which pointed to a very normal looking fake EBay sign in page "ebay-secure-signin.com".

As with all EBay and PayPal phishing attempts I forward the emails to spoof@ebay.co.uk and spoof@paypal.com which I see as my public duty as a good citizen of the internet community.

This site was so well done that it passed more than a casual inspection and if I hadn't checked the security page on the real EBay sight which lists all genuine EBay http addresses, then I wouldn't have been able to tell this was a fake.

Be careful out there!

No comments: