In a word "OUCH"!
I then cut back on some of the silly components and got the price down to only £1,000!
Next I took a few executive decisions around quality and performance and got the price down to a Gnat's Whisker over £800. I now feel that I am working in the correct ball-park! I could go lower but then I would be seriously compromising the lifespan of the project.
The £800 system looks like this:
- Antec Fusion Media Centre Case
- Foxconn G9657MA - 8EKRS2H Motherboard (has very good on-board sound)
- Intel Core2 Duo E6420 Processor
- 2 x 1 GB EBuyer Value DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM (made by Corsair)
- 2 x Samsung Spinpoint T166 HDJ01LJ 500 GB Hard Disks
- 8800GTS 320 MB Graphics (ASUS branded)
- Panasonic DVD-RW
- Netgear Wireless LAN Card
- Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
- Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
Now I just need to save up enough money (as Serena would kill me if I put this on my Mastercard so soon after our holiday)!