About a month ago I received a letter from HM Revenue and Customs regarding the 3 months from January to April 2007. Apparently they were concerned that they had no record of me earning any money and hence didn't pay any taxes! I have to say I was touched by their concern!
They gave me a lovely form to fill in on which I detailed all the inactivity that filled those months between leaving NAB and the end of the tax year.
Anyway time rolled on and I was far too busy with Lauren and Jocey to worry about it until I received a rather long letter from the Revenue on Monday! It told me that they had reviewed my last 5 years of tax payments and had come to the following conclusions.
- In 2002-03 I was mainly in Australia and didn't have to pay any tax.
- In 2003-04 NAB failed to calculate my tax correctly and I owed the Revenue £60.
- In 2004-05 NAB failed to calculate my tax correctly and I owed the Revenue another £55.
- In 2005-06 NAB failed to calculate my tax correctly and I owed the Revenue another £60.
- In 2006-07 NAB failed to calculate my tax correctly but fortunately the Revenue owed me about £500!
Hence they enclosed a cheque for the difference!
Each year was covered off by a different page of the letter and I was cacking my pants by the time I got to 2006-07! Nice to see that NAB finely managed to do something in my favour!
That little refund paid for this rather fine monitor!